Suitability of different methods to detect the biodegradation of certain contaminant groups: 5 * = key method; 3 * = secondary method; 1 * = supplementary method.
Methods to Prove Contaminant Degradation
Isodetect applies isotope and further analytical tools to investigate natural and enhanced attenuation in contaminated sites. We characterize and quantify degradation processes to enable cost-effective remediation concepts. Some methods are also suitable for forensic assignment of polluters.
Tools to Prove and Characterise Contaminant Degradation
- Compound-specific isotope analysis CSIA: 13C/12C
- Compound-specific isotope analysis CSIA: 2H/1H or CSIA 37Cl/35Cl
- Isotope analysis of redox compounds (SO4, NO3, CO2 & CH4)
- BACTRAPS (13C-labeled in situ microcosms)
- Laboratory microcosms
- Metabolite analysis
- Quantification of microbial genes (qPCR)
- GC/MS screening
- Enantiomer analysis (concentration, isotopes)